The torch to travel to Ereshkigal comes through this month with the Black Sacred Candle. The candle itself signifies and moves through an intricate pattern of creation. We know it must also hold a key of reversing back, to the beginning, for each of us.
Never made a Black Sacred Candle? We got you covered here!
We know through the pattern of creation that we move through an alchemical process of the elements. Air, Fire, Water, Earth, and Spirit. This month we are adding their symbols to the top of the candle.
The cycle of the year, of life, also has a pattern moving through the elements: rebirth, death, and rebirth again. It’s regenerative and reveals new layers of becoming all the time. However, there is a requirement of letting go, of shedding old layers, to start a new cycle of becoming. Upon the Black Sacred Candle this month, is the snake, a carrier of wisdom of this natural order.
Ingredients & Tools
- Candle Scribe
- Aluminum Foil
- Parchment Paper
- Oil of Ash
- Rose: Ereshkigal is a secret name for another, one who is known as the ‘fiery Rose of creation’.
- Mugwort: My best plant friend that allows me to safely travel in liminal spaces.
- Dittany: The growth of this plant between the jagged edges reminds me just how perilous the journeys to becoming sometimes feel, but how worth it the journeys are.
- Take a piece of aluminum foil (large enough to wrap your candle in) and place it on your workspace.
- Take a piece of non-stick parchment paper (about the same size as your aluminum foil) and place it on top of the aluminum foil. Trick: Fold the edges of the aluminum foil over the top of the edges of the parchment paper to keep it from rolling!
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Draw the sigils on your candle.
- Anoint your candle with the Oil of Ash.
- Lightly coat your candle with each of the correspondences as you see fit. Caution: Please make sure there are no large chunks of plant material as these can be dangerous or ‘pop’ during candle burning. As always, please abide by all fire safety rules.
- Place your candle onto the parchment/aluminum foil, wrap your candle, and place in the oven.
- DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN (lesson learned the hard way), turn your candle every 2 minutes (this took me about 12 minutes total).
Each day, sit with the flame for a few minutes and practice your call to Ereshkigal. This is going to be unique to you. Perhaps it is a certain humming, drumming, or chant. You’ll know you have found the call to her that is suited for you because you will feel the pull to travel. The more you practice, the stronger this pull will become. However, there is more required of you to get to and through the gates. This torch is but one key!
A Candle & A Key,
Dark Goddess Collective, A Revelations of a Witch Circle, will be launching soon. This is a community focused on those who are interested in doing the deeper, life-changing, intuitive work of reclaiming their power with Dark Goddesses and a tribe committed to fostering change in their communities.
Don’t forget to grab your copy of the Newsletter with BONUSES for free here.