Not only is Asteria a Goddess of the nocturnal sky and the stars, but she is also what happens when the creative forces fall to Earth. These shooting stars that fall and become our creations have been likened to an awakening or our lightbulb moment. I also believe that it has to do with the prophecy of dreams that come true. Asteria as the nocturnal sky could be responsible for that which happens under her watch: our dreaming. The power to shapeshift and transform through messages in our dreams, whether the stars are visible or not, can attest to the power of creation she holds.
Never created a Black Sacred Candle? We have you covered! Learn how in this free three-part series.
Supplies & Ingredients
- Black Candle
- Cedar Oil
- Candle scribe or toothpick
- Stone of your choice
- Personal Power Oil or Olive Oil
- Mortar and Pestle
- Aluminum Foil
- Parchment Paper
- Candle Holder
Before We Begin
Before we begin, let’s create a blend to signify our openness to our own ability to shapeshift and transform in trust with her guidance. In this instance, it is better to make too much than not enough (be generous, this will be used often). Grab the following:
- Mortar and Pestle
Place your resins in the mortar and pestle first, crush them to release their properties. Add in the Mugwort, Sage, Lavender, and Cinnamon in the way that feels right to you as you continue to mix, crush, and break them down in the mortar and pestle. It is a little symphony you are creating or better yet, a little party with helpers: they must be guided and given directions.
Take your time with them.
Once it is to your liking, place a small amount in a bag and add a petition to connect with her. Lay this bag on your nightstand or place it in your pillowcase. Pay attention to your dreams and any words, symbols, or other items that may come up. This can be done a few nights in a row if needed. Once we have our connection to her, we create the candle.
Directions for the Black Sacred Candle
- Take a piece of aluminum foil (large enough to wrap your candle in) and place it on your workspace.
- Take a piece of non-stick parchment paper (about the same size as your aluminum foil) and place it on top of the aluminum foil. Trick: Fold the edges of the aluminum foil over the top of the edges of the parchment paper to keep it from rolling!
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Over your parchment paper, carve your candle carefully with any symbols she has given to you recently.
- Using your Cedar oil, place a drop or two upon the candle.
- Grab your Olive oil (or personal power oil) and anoint your candle with your chosen oil.
- Grab your bag with your petition and incense and spread the incense over the candle.
- Grab the stone of your choice, place it on the back side of your candle and wrap your candle tightly.
- Place the wrapped candle in the oven.
- DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN (lesson learned the hard way), turn your candle every 2 minutes (this took me about 12 minutes total).
- Pour salt into your candle holder and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.
- Nestle your completed Black Sacred Candle within the candle holder and light it, calling to Asteria.
Caution: Please make sure there are no large chunks of plant material as these can be dangerous or ‘pop’ during candle burning. As always, please abide by all fire safety rules.
Enjoy your magic this with Asteria by lighting your candle a few minutes each day!
A Candle & A Key,
Ready to join the BadAsses committed to sovereign practices and sacred knowledge? Learn more here.
You can also follow us on:
Want to get involved? See our upcoming events and our community collaboration! We are working with causes that are on the frontlines of some of the largest collective battles to create change and fight back!
Wondering if the private community is a good space for you to dive deeper into your own practice or get to know the sacred within community? Learn more here.